Home Screens

Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Touchpad has landed!!



I was one of the lucky ones that managed to somehow score a HP Touchpad during the firesale for a low low price of $99. Then the wait began. First Amazon cancelled a bunch of orders but I was still safe. Then when it was about to ship Hurricane Irene blew through and all mail in my area stopped! So finally today my HP Touchpad arrived. I know alot of people are saying why buy this tablet and what are you going to do with it now?

I have been wanting to purchase a tablet but with a nice laptop and a Android phone it is hard to justify spending $400+ on a tablet. However $99 I can definitely handle. Now I have a 10" tablet with a dualcore processor, front facing camera and Flash support. Yes there is no rear facing camera but who is really running around taking pictures with their tablet? And yes HP has walked away from webOS so further support is sketchy at best, although rumors are floating around of Samsung being interested in the OS which could make things interesting. The Android developer community however, is not going to let this tablet go quietly into the night and that was a big reason in my purchase.

RootzWiki has an entire team working on porting Android to the Touchpad( it helps that is is running the internals as many Android tablets) with the plan being to first get Gingerbread up and running and then jump on the Honeycomb bandwagon. Then the big news, some of the greatest minds in Android the team behind CM7 have thrown their hat in the ring and are working hard at getting Cyanogen running. They even have a video showing the tablet booting up but that is about all. I myself am a big fan of webOS so I would love a dualboot option where I can keep both OS's on the tablet. Stay tuned as I will be writing about my experience getting my Touchdroid up and running!!!


JKeene AndroREV Writer
We Are AndroREV, WE ARE!!!



1 comment: